The Department of History was established in 1969 with an undergraduate course in History In 1975 M.A History was introduced. In 2014, the department is upgraded as Research Department with M.Phil and Ph.D. (Full time and Part time) programs. Our Department has 13 sanctioned faculty positions. Among them, 10 faculty members possess a Doctorate Degree. Four Faculty members got Guideship from Madurai Kamaraj University. At present there are 360 Undergraduate students, 60 Postgraduate students 4 M.Phil students and 11 Ph.D. scholars are pursuing their studies. Gandhiji visited Madurai 5 times during his lifetime. During his 3rd visit, Gandhiji stayed in Sivaganga palace ( samasthanam ) for two days in September 1922. That Samasthanam was donated to the government for the construction of a government college. The place where Ghandhi stayed in the present History Department. Our department caters to the prime aim our college is to empower the women especially; first-generation learners. The department also imparts values in the minds of the students. It inculcates partiotism which in turn makes responsible citizens.